The box: planning and improvement

My subject area is graphic design, but working on a major project I faced with a product design, which I had never done before. I had a chance to use new skills which I found.

 The part of my project is to make a box for my products. The final outcome will include 3 bottles which I have already bought in the shop. I tried to find unique and old fashioned bottles. I went to the town and looked at some shops. I had a thought to buy it on Amazon but they all look modern and do not really express idea of mine. These are bottles I bought. 



 I had to take off the labels, so I put bottles into the water and let them be there for a bit, after took labels out. 

Having bottled done, I started a project of my box, I have been inspired by some Versace products and how it looks from the inside. 







The sketch of my box looks like that. 




I started from measuring. Using cutting mat, pencil and paper I started a sketch. 
Understanding that bottles should be inside of the box on the additional shelve. 
I took a piece of MDF, measured my bottles. 

Also I indicated size of this shelve, 36x22 cm. And a whole box size will be 37x23x13cm. 


And using a cutting mashine Record Power Sabre I cut 3 shapes of my bottles. 

After that I checked if they suit, everything was okay. 



I had some difficulties while doing this task, I had to take off the blade every time I did each bottle, as I wanted to cut only the inside, to make the edges solid. 

After that using the different cut mashine I cut rectangles for the whole box. 






I had to glue this together and left it for a day. 



The whole box made from MDF, wood glue and pieces of wood, which I put to the inside to make my box more steady. 

In the next post I will show improvement on my box. At the moment I am planning to cover it in a nice textile, and put the shelve inside. I also want to make a lead for the box. 

REFERENCES

Versace.com. (2024). Medusa Porcelain Box. [online] Available at: https://www.versace.com/gb/en/home-lifestyle/living/decor/medusa-porcelain-box-gold/N24995-N426157_N1449.html [Accessed 22 Feb. 2024].